Sunday, August 28, 2011

Burning Man starts tomorrow!

Hello everyone!  It felt good to get on the road.  Colorado's mountains were nice and cool compared the the 97F in Denver.  Utah was wide open and not too hot.  Some people find the I-70 corridor a bit plain and boring through Utah, but I actually like the scenery.

I left Westminster at noon and spent my birthday (August 26th) driving across Utah and Nevada.  I wasn't too tired when I reached Las Vegas so I decided to keep going and stopped in Barstow at 5am.  A bed at Motel 6 never felt so good.  On the way, I also stopped in St. George, Utah, for an 11pm In N Out Burger to keep me going.  I could have had another In N Out burger in Vegas too but I thought that would be overdoing it.


During my drive I went through a few rain showers with lighting in the distance.  This lightning ignited some spot fires right around St. George, Utah and into Arizona.  It was a striking scene in the night.


On Saturday, I arrived at my friend's aunt's house in Santa Monica.  We ate some great food and had one last good shower to last for the next week.  The car is loaded up with water and all of our stuff.  My friend Jaime is really excited about this too as this is her first time going as well.  Our bikes are decorated artfully. Overall, this will be like backpacking but with a car in a moonscape filled with 50,000 people and a lot of artwork.  So basically... its nothing like backpacking.  At the event, I'll be going to a meeting of Burning Man Nerds where we will talk about research surrounding the Burning Man.  Perhaps there will be some planners there who have researched the layout of Black Rock City (BRC). I'm looking forward to sharing the experience and the pictures with all of you after I come out the other side of this event.  Don't worry, I'll stay safe, have plenty of water and food, and won't be taking any mind-altering drugs.  My mind is already screwy enough already without having taken anything.  I'll post again in a week.  Happy Labor Day ahead of time and cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment